Superheroes are super trendy right now, but even they aren’t tough enough to fight off cold and flu viruses that prey on people during the winter. Ancy Maruthanal, MD, an internal medicine physician with Meritas Health North Kansas City, recommends eating these six superfoods to wage an effective battle.
- Brussels sprouts boost your overall health with their rich vitamins, minerals and fiber content.
- Citrus offers a healthy dose of vitamin C, which can reduce the amount of time you’re laid up.
- Ginger targets the common cold virus, soothes a scratchy throat and reduces coughing.
- Leafy vegetables, especially dark green ones, provide the highest level of defense.
- Lean beef contains zinc, which activates infection-fighting molecules in the body.
- Sweet potatoes support healthy mucous membranes in the nose and throat.
Of course, staying hydrated is essential for good health. Drink plenty of water every day, but especially when you’re down for the count.